May 25, 2018
15.00-20.00 Registration for Conference attendees. All attendees should register on www.lemnosevents.org with requested details for security purposes.
22.30 Arrival of Conference Speaker guests, check-in to hotel rooms and light cocktail
26 - 27 May, 2018
26/05/2018 FORMAL WELCOME TO VIP GUESTS
10.30-12.00 Presentation : Brigadier Nikolaos Delatolas (Greek Army History Directory) and Stelios A. Mantzaris President "The Lemnos' Friends of Anzac" Association
12.15 Keynote address: Sir Hew Francis Anthony Strachan
13.15 Departure for Moudros Town. Arrival at Moudros Commonwealth War Cemetery, 'Laying of wreaths' followed by visit to Moudros Nautical History Museum and presentation for Conference attendees and Speakers.
17.45 - 19.15 Session Α: The outcome of the military campaign in the Balkans and the Dardanelles 1918, and the conclusion of the Moudros Armistice.
Chair: Vlasis Vlasidis, Konstantinos Bogdanos (Proto Thema newsp.), Dragana Markovic (Serbian Journalist)
- Mesut Uyar, "The Birth and Development of the Ottoman Amphibious Defence Concept on the Gallipoli Peninsula".
- Theofanis Vlachos, "The battle of Skra di Legen (30.05.1918) and its impact on the Hellenic Army"
- Ivan Petrov, "The assault at Dobro Pole and the collapse of Bulgaria in September 1918"
- Aleksandra M. Pecinar, "A Mini World War in The Balkans"
19.30 - 21.15 Session B: The outcome of the military campaign in the Balkans and the Dardanelles 1918, and the conclusion of the Moudros Armistice.
Chair: Vlasis Vlasidis, Emmy Livaniou (Huffington Post), Dragana Markovic (Serbian Journalist)
- Lena Korma, "An unorthodox opponent: the contribution of Lemnos island to the eradication of the infectious diseases of the Gallipoli and Macedonian Front"
- Major Thomas Loukas, "Health care of the Greek army during WWI"
- Efstratios Dordanas, "From Macedonian Front to Western Front. German Empire just before 11.11.1918".
- Zisis Fotakis, "Sailing in Heavy Seas. The Greek Navy at War, 1918-1923"
10.00-11.45 Morning-Session A: Political reflections and orientations after the Armistice: the dilemmas for Greece and for the Ottomans
Chair: Zisis Fotakis, Katerina Fykari (PR, Municipality of Lemnos), Ismini Kriari
- Photini Tomai-Constantopoulou, "A guide to trace WWI into Greece's diplomatic archives. The dramatic consequences of Moudros Armistice over Greece 's strategy in Anatolia"
- Evanthis Hatzivassiliou, "After the Armistice: Greece, the Options for the Near East and the Road to the Peace Conference" Despoina Charitou, "WWI forts and trenches in Macedonian Front 1915-1918. A first Approach"
- Peter Argyris Katsambanis, "The geo-political impact of the Armistice of Mudros and its continued impact in the 21st century"
- Katarine Sarikakis, Prof. Antonis Skamnakis, Prof. Olga Kolokytha, "The Greek Press during the Great War: Making sense of the National Discord and Allies' Betrayal"
12.00-13.45 Morning-Session B: Lemnos as a case study for the memory and the cultural heritage of WWI
Chair: Efstratios Dordanas, Elli Lemonidou, Evanthis Hatzivassiliou
- Vlasis Vlasidis, "Constructing cemeteries and paying tribute to the fallen WWI and WWII soldiers in Greece"
- Peter Stanley, 'Locus of fates: reflections on Lemnos's place in Great War history'
- Despoina Charitou, "WWI forts and trenches in Macedonian Front 1915-1918. A first Approach"
- Ismini A. Kriari, " The protection of Cultural Heritage and Maritime Archeology within the Rulings of UNESCO"
18.00-20.00 Session: Culture-Business
Chair: Aleksandra Pecinar, Danena-Florou Anastasia((Expert in Culture - Onassis Foundation), Marianthi Milona (German Press)
- Athanasios Nakasis, "Management of Archaeological sites"
- Elli Lemonidou, "The First World War as a "lieu de memoire": European and Greek dimension'
- Konstantinos Tsegas, "Lemnos: a place of great historical significance and a truly unique travel destination.
- Stelios A. Mantzaris, "The need to develop cultural tourism in Greece. Lemnos, as a role model for development"
Conclusions: Brigadier Nikolaos Delatolas (Greek Army History Directory) and Stelios Mantzaris President "The Lemnos' Friends of Anzac" Association
21.15: Formal function presented by "Chef Club Akropolis" with cooking and preparation of local gastronomic delights. Varos Village Traditional Hotel & Residences. Musical Program performed by local island Cultural Dance Groups
May 28, 2018
09.30 Departure from Varos Village Hotel for Lemnos Island Tour including:
- Prehistoric Poliochni
- Ancient Ifestia and it's Theatre
- Portianou village, Portianou Commonwealth War Cemetery and the Stephen Saunders Memorial
- The islands capital Myrina and its Castle